Graduate Geotechnical Engineer Job, London
Graduate Geotechnical Engineer
£25,000 to £35,000
Our client is looking for a graduate (or a graduate with 2-3 years’ experience would be desirable) for a predominantly office-based role and occasional site-based work. Whilst no experience is required post degree previous experience in the design of shallow and deep foundations, retaining walls, slope stability or experience in the preparation of geotechnical interpretative reports will be advantageous.
Our client is an engineering consultancy that is specialised in the planning, design and development of world class port and harbour facilities and associated infrastructure, in particular related to container terminals.
The candidate will work closely with senior engineers to help deliver geotechnical services in the marine sector and will perform specific portions of a broader assignments with experienced engineers.
The role involves:
- Carrying out routine geotechnical interpretation and supporting the structural team with geotechnical design needs.
- Carrying out routine geotechnical analysis for foundations, slopes, retaining walls and ground improvement processes.
- Preparing reports including interpretative reports, specifications, and design reports in line with company quality assurance procedures and client requirements as well as applicable standards and codes of practice.
- Support in contract administration by reviewing design submissions to ensure compliance with local codes and standards and client requirements.
- BSc or BEng degree level qualified in Engineering Geology or Civil Engineering
- An MSc in Soil Mechanics, Geotechnical Engineering or related subject is desirable.
- Thorough knowledge of soil mechanics and underlying geotechnical principles
- Knowledge of ground investigation techniques and in-situ and laboratory test methods for soil and rock.
- Knowledge of numerical modelling using FE/FD analyses techniques is desirable, but not essential.
- Knowledge of Eurocode 7. Knowledge of other parts of Eurocodes is advantageous.
- Experience of using Plaxis software is desirable, but not essential.
- Knowledge of geotechnical data interpretation and parameter derivation for design of geotechnical works including slopes, foundations, retaining structures, earthworks and ground improvement.
- The ability to work and communicate effectively with senior staff members
- Be flexible in their approach to complete tasks in a timely manner.
- A willingness to travel on short assignments both within the UK and overseas (subject to COVID restrictions).
- UK Driving licence would be desired.
Please send all applications to Nick Rothery at Energi People.